Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Hardcover vs Paperback 64

If I Grow Up by Todd Strasser

Hardcover

Paperback


"WHEN YOU GREW UP IN THE PROJECTS, THERE WERE NO CHOICES. NO GOOD ONES, AT LEAST."

In the Frederick Douglass Project where DeShawn lives, daily life is ruled by drugs and gang violence. Many teenagers drop out of school and join gangs, and every kid knows someone who died. Gunshots ring out on a regular basis.

DeShawn is smart enough to know he should stay in school and keep away from the gangs. But while his friends have drug money to buy fancy sneakers and big-screen TVs, DeShawn's family can barely afford food for the month. How can he stick to his principles when his family is hungry?

In this gritty novel about growing up in the inner city, award-winning author Todd Strasser opens a window into the life of a teenager struggling with right and wrong under the ever-present shadow of gangs.

I pick the hardcover based on the summary. It depicts growing up in the city (love the skyline cleverly placed in there) and drugs, it definitely says serious to me. The paperback looks like it's about BMX bikers or something, doesn't look very serious or gritty to me besides the hint it gives with the typeface.

Hardcover or paperback?

Have you spotted a Hardcover vs. Paperback you would like to contribute? Send me an email!

14 comments:

  1. I never noticed the city in the hardcover before (I've looked at this cover a million times). Very clever!

    I agree with you. That cover works a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sky line that you can see there in the background on the hardcover, and I think the playing bricks are a really good addition - I love the Hardback, its such a cool book cover

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:42 AM

    I liked the cover when it came out, and I think there was no need to change to a generic everybook cover.
    But that's what publishers seem to think sells books...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:07 AM

    Huh. I had to look back up twice to make sure you got it right, that the blocks was a city skyline. That is clever.

    Personally,though, I like the feel of the paperback's cover. It seems to be more of a teenager story than the blocks. Though, the bullet by the blocks definitely says volumes about the title If I grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the hardcover better, even though it took me a little while to figure out what the title is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. whoa! These covers are so different! They have such different feels to them. I have to say, though, that I prefer the paperback. it makes me want to read the book, and I actually feel like it fits the summary more than the first one, which despite the bullet and skyline, I find for some reason slightly childish. The second one reminds me of me growing up and trying to stay away from all of the drugs that my friends were doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I prefer the hardcover. Not a fan of the pink font on the paperback. XP

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hardcover all the way! It's more appealing at first glance and then the more you look at it, the better it gets. I don't like the font of the author's name on the paperback. It just bothers me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm.. Lots of details..

    I'm crossed with this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely the hardcover! It's very appealing and simple to the eye, but has a deeper meaning! (:

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you - I liked both covers, but after reading the summary, I think the first one fits better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore the shadows on the first one. It's a fabulous cover/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous1:45 PM

    I prefer the paperback myself. More like, I don't like the hardback one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally with you on the hardcover -- it really caught my attention. The paperback cover isn't one that would make me pick it up at all.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...