Saturday, June 07, 2008

A Bad Boy Can Be Good For A Girl By Tanya Lee Stone

Written in verse, three girls encounter the same bad boy. Using a library copy of Judy Blume's Forever, all the girls that have been used by this boy leave messages to each other, sharing their experiences.

When I saw all these reviews saying this should be required reading I wasn't so sure about that... After reading this, I think it should be required reading for girls, boys, grownups, parents, everyone! What a powerful piece in such a slim package. I think it's one great life lesson. I hadn't heard of this book until it was mentioned as a giveaway on a blog and I looked into it. It's a shame it isn't more widely recognized.

Though the book teaches a powerful lesson it's still very fun to read. I really enjoyed it. I had never read anything I liked in verse, probably because it was all school related. But this book is very easily digestible. Makes me want to seek out other books in the same format.

I also really like the cover. It's perfect, the image, the doodles, the handwritten title. I could do without the boy's stubble. There's something about the image being so close-up that makes it distracting.

4.5/5 Stars
Purchased by myself

What book have you read that shares a powerful life lesson in a enjoyable way?

8 comments:

  1. Huh, this sounds cool, I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I really liked it. It took about 5 seconds to read but it's pretty powerful and in an interesting style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:43 PM

    What a powerful endorcement! I am going to check at our library to see if I can find a copy. I can't remember the last book I read that shared a powerful life lesson in a enjoyable way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. J. Kaye- I hope you find it and that you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:23 PM

    I'll keep you posted. Our library has two copies and both are checked out. I put my name on the waiting list. :)

    I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's interesting. I hadn't heard of that one before.

    But anyways, you've got an entry. Keep checking back for more ways to get entries.

    The reason you probably hadn't heard about the Speak movie was because it was a made for TV movie. Sort of like the Memory Keeper's Daughter. I saw it on the Lifetime channel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. paperxxflowers-

    I looked right into Speak after I left that comment and saw it was a tv movie. Thank goodness those get released on dvd too! I've added it to my netflix queue!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alea-

    You should so get the Violet series. I'm on hairs' end waiting for the next one, Violet in Private. I thought that I wasn't going to like them, but I was wrong wrong wrong.

    Both Violet on the Runway and Violet by Design were sooooooo good.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...