Monday, June 06, 2005

The New Walker Art Center

I hadn't been to the Walker in at least three years and will all the hype about the beautiful addition I just had to go. Most of the artwork was as I remember it, lots of Warhol (yesssss). Some really cool new screenprinted eye wallpaper in the hallway where the bathrooms are and a really cool eye sculpture pod thing, I have no idea what it was, it was pretty though.

I saw a disturbing piece by Dinos and Jake Chapman, they had a piece in the Bronx Museum fiasco with the Virgin Mary with poop on her incident. It was really amazing to see a piece by them because I talked about one of their pieces for my aesthetics class this year. I also saw another piece by Chris Olifi, the man who created the Virgin Mary I just talked about. He also has work at the Tate Modern, beautiful.

When I found out there was a gallery at the walker with sculpture by Matthew Barney I almost had 10 heartattacks. I don't understand it, his films and artwork are so disturbing you can't look away, maybe it's because I'm not really sure what he's trying to say with his work. I had the pleasure of seeing part of one of his films last summer at the Tate Modern, at the time I had no idea what I was watching. He came up in aesthetics and I made the connection. I checked out a book of images at the library from one of his films but had to take it back the next day because it was freaking me out. See for yourself...

Great stuff to come in the next few months, Chuck Close and Andy Warhol- I'm there!

1 comment:

  1. If you are home in August, Kel and I definitely have been meaning to check out the new Walker Art Center and would love for you to come along!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...